Mondi Launches New Online Sustainability SectionPublication Date:
08 April 2009
Comprehensive sustainability review integrated across web site and supporting summary report
LONDON, 8 April 2009 - Mondi has today launched a new sustainability section on its web site in conjunction with the publication of the Mondi Group Sustainability summary report 2008.
The new online sustainability section provides a comprehensive review of Mondi’s practices, including a detailed update on its progress in 2008, ongoing activities, data and a growing database showing examples of its work. To complement this, Mondi has produced a summary report that highlights a number of the key activities and achievements from the past year.
2008 sustainability highlights include:
- Pursuing its goal of zero harm in the workplace with a further reduction in lost-time injuries;
- Implementation of a wood tracing system and a procurement standard for wood products;
- Maintaining Forest Stewardship Council™ certification in South Africa and achieving additional FSC™ certification for around 861,000 hectares of forests in the Komi Republic in Russia;
- Reducing emissions to air and water and the wastes to landfill in line with its 2010 Commitments;
- Signing the first corporate forestry land restitution settlement in South Africa, which agreed the transfer of approximately 4,000 hectares of Mondi land to two forest communities; and
- Launching pilot studies for an innovative ‘Food 4 Forests’ feeding initiative in South Africa.
David Hathorn, Mondi Chief Executive, said: “We continue to work to reduce the environmental impact of our products by addressing key issues such as climate change, resource depletion, ecosystems, degradation and poverty. Our new online section and summary report shows the good progress we made over the past year towards meeting our commitments.
“However, there is still a lot more to do but we believe that we have the necessary processes in place to ensure that we maintain this progress in 2009 and beyond.”
About Mondi Group
Mondi is an international paper and packaging group and in 2008 had revenues of €6.3 billion. Its key operations and interests are in western Europe, emerging Europe, Russia and South Africa.
The Group is principally involved in the manufacture of packaging paper and converted packaging products; uncoated fine paper; and speciality products including coating and consumer flexibles.
Mondi is fully integrated across the paper and packaging process, the growing of wood and the manufacture of pulp (including recycled paper) to the conversion of packaging papers into corrugated packaging and industrial bags.
Mondi has production operations across 38 countries and had an average of 33,000 employees in 2008. www.mondigroup.com
Last change: 09/02/2011