Efficient eCommerce fulfilment automation
Mondi accelerates efficient eCommerce fulfilment automation with eComPack
As interest and reliance on online shopping have grown exponentially since the pandemic, so have the demands placed on eCommerce fulfilment. Because with higher order volumes come higher customer expectations, and the supply chain management is buckling under the pressure.
“One of the most important trends when it comes to eCommerce fulfilment today is the lack of manual labour”, says Nedim Nisic, Group eCommerce Director Mondi. There aren’t enough people to pick and package products. The additional lack of warehouse space to store large inventory and accommodate the processes for large volume orders slows the fulfilment track rather than speeding it up.
Fulfilment centres were initially hesitant to replace manual tasks with robotic automation. It’s now deemed necessary, rather than a choice, to keep up with unprecedented demand, consolidate labour and remain competitive.
According to McKinsey and Company, the industry is seeing significant investment in automation from retailers. 80% of retailers surveyed from a pool of fifty in fashion, grocery, and other key sectors said they planned to step up investments in automation over the next two to three years.
Source: https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/retail/our-insights/automation-has-reached-its-tipping-point-for-omnichannel-warehouses in
Predictions show the market for worldwide automation in warehouses will exceed $51 billion by 2030 – a compounded annual growth rate of over 23% from 2021 to 2030.
With the rapid deployment of technology for the automation of existing order practices with optimal efficiency, Mondi delivered a packaging solution. The new eComPack is a compact but highly performant eCommerce automation machine that expedites the packing of EnvelopeMailers, resulting in faster order fulfilment and improved customer experience.
Image: 1 Opening, 2 Filling and closing, 3 Rotation
Smarter eCommerce fulfilment solutions
The eComPack machine was designed to streamline fulfilment operations and increase order output. The ambitious project was achieved by working directly with customers on desired specifications and partnering with paper and corrugated material automation experts, Heiber + Schröder.
It also means not having to expand existing warehouse space. “The machine layout is compact, at only 14 m², which makes it easy to find the right place in the fulfilment centre”, adds Nesic.
Using the EnvelopeMailer, the preferred corrugated mailer among European eCommerce customers, the eComPack can erect, fill, and close packages in a seamless and speedy process, ready for instant delivery.
- Compact machine. With a footprint of only 14 m², the device can be easily placed, operated, and maintained anywhere in the fulfilment centre.
- Multiple machines for desired output. The compressed footprint allows more devices to be added as output needs increase without expanding the warehouse.
- Flexibility in fulfilment. The 7cm height adjustment range of the mailer and the four standard sizes allow fulfilment centres to handle a variety of orders with different product shapes and sizes.
- Faster process and efficiency. With an average output of 500 packs per hour, the machine achieves twice the production of the manual EnvelopeMailer packing process, helping to accelerate consumer-delivery times.
- Immunity to manual labour shortages. The automated process requires less hands-on labour and limits the risk of human error by taking over in-process tracking and labelling, pack size selection and scanning, and opening, filling, and closing the packaging.
Developing sustainable solutions for eCommerce fulfilment
We pride ourselves on developing clever engineering solutions to meet customer requirements in the fulfilment process. As eCommerce demands intensify, so does the need to find fast and innovative solutions to meet them while being sustainable by design.
Automation is a big part of that, and the eComPack is just one of the ways we can help customers exceed targeted output speeds and consumer expectations.
If you would like to explore your possibilities within automation further, don’t hesitate to reach out to us!
Easy solution for automating Mondi’s EnvelopeMailer.
Avoiding excessive packaging and plastics in the eCommerce supply chain.
The sustainable alternative to plastic mailers.