- MAP2030 (2021-2030)
- Growing responsibly model (2016-2020)
- 1. Employee and contractor safety and health
- 2. A skilled and committed workforce
- 3. Fairness and diversity in the workplace
- 4. Sustainable fibre
- 5. Climate change
- 6. Constrained resources and environmental impacts
- 7. Biodiversity and ecosystems
- 8. Supplier conduct and responsible procurement
- 9. Relationships with communities
- 10. Solutions that create value for our customers
- Working forests
- Contribution to SDGs
- Governance of sustainability
- External recognition
- Sustainability reports and publications
The diversity of our workforce drives innovation and better decision-making, enabling us to meet the needs of our employees, customers, communities and shareholders. To maintain a fair, diverse and inclusive workplace, we promote good working conditions and uphold high standards of employment and human rights.
- Equality, employment and human rights issues are central to the public debate about how business interacts with society
- Our commitment to human rights across our operations and supply chain supports customers in managing their own supply chain risks
- Women in industry is outlined as a key area for attention in the traditionally male dominated packaging industry
- A diverse and inclusive workforce inspires innovation and enables us to meet the needs of global stakeholders; and
- Ensure appropriate representation of local context and needs, and enhance benefits to local communities
- By respecting human rights, we act with integrity, reduce our reputational and business risks and improve employee engagement and commitment
- We rely on a strong pipeline of talented employees from all backgrounds. Increasingly, people want to work for companies that uphold high ethical standards
- Promote fair working conditions and diversity in the workplace
Our performance in 2020
- Our group-wide D&I taskforce made good progress in 2020 and worked with the business to continue to develop our D&I vision.
- During 2020, we reported to the Hampton- Alexander Review that as at 31 October 2020, we had 37.5% female representation on our Executive Committee and 28% in the direct reports to the Executive Committee, giving a combined total of 29%.
We launched our D&I taskforce – a cross-business, crossfunctional team – in 2018 to help shape and embed our approach to managing D&I across the Group. In 2019, it made good progress across a number of areas.
Communication and good practice sharing:
D&I news, blogs and best-practice articles were shared on our intranet, planetmondi, and we published a guide to gender-inclusive language now rolling out across our operations. Some of our operations, such as Świecie (Poland), Ružomberok (Slovakia), and Hilm and Korneuburg (Austria), have run their own D&I workshops.
We developed and piloted ‘Conscious Inclusion’ training with our group executive and operational committees. Several leadership teams have now undergone the training, which will be rolled out in 2020 as part of The Mondi Academy curriculum for teams. We also initiated ‘reverse mentoring’ to enable leadership teams to benefit from exposure to junior employees outside of their usual circles, developing awareness of the challenges they may face, the unique value they bring, and what they expect from leaders in the organisation.
Strategy and leadership:
We reviewed ‘Inspire’, our cultural framework, to assess its fitness to foster an inclusive environment. While we found D&I already present in our cultural framework, we identified opportunities to enable greater inclusion through our culture. We also analysed performance, governance structure, employee assessment and engagement tools, and the indicators that we can currently monitor. Key challenges include a lack of sufficient data, limited visibility of the barriers to D&I, and limited evidence of the effectiveness of D&I measures and interventions. We have begun to develop smart targets to strengthen our measurement and monitoring. The taskforce will continue to work with the business in 2020 to further progress our D&I journey.
- Target 8.5 Achieve full and productive employment and decent work for all women and men, and equal pay for work of equal value
- Target 8.7 Eradicate forced labour, end modern slavery and human trafficking and eliminate the worst forms of child labour
- Target 8.8 Protect labour rights and promote safe and secure working environments for all workers